Mochizuki (望月町 Mochizuki-machi) was a town located in Kitasaku District, Nagano, Japan. On April 1, 1961 The town of Asama and the village of Azuma from Kitasaku District merged with the towns of Nozawa and Nakagomi from Minamisaku District to form the (old) city of Saku.
On April 1, 2005 The city merged with the town of Usuda from Minamisaku District and the town of Mochizuki and the village of Asashina from Kitasaku District to form the new “city of Saku”.
As of 2003, the town had an estimated population of 10,440 and a density of 81.16 persons per km². The total area was 128.64 km².
Former town of Mochizuki area in Kitasaku District
1875【circa】The town of Mochizukishin merged into the town of Mochizuku in Saku District. The village of Kanonjinitta merged into the village of Shigetai. The villages of Irikatakurayama, Iwashita, and Kasugashin merged into the village of Kasuga. The village of Makifuse, Irifuse, Shikibu, Nukei, Kyochu, Kutsusawayamanitta, and Maeyamasannitta merged to form the village of Fuse.
1876【circa】The village of Katakura, Hidai, Tenshinrin, Otanijinitta, Odaira, Mitsui, and Takaro merged to form the village of Kyowa.
1879【circa】Kitasaku District government enforced. The town of Mochizuki and the villages of Innai, Shigetai, Kasuga, Fuse, and Kyowa belongs ot Kitasaku District.
April 1, 1889 The city, town, and village status enforced.
The town of Mochizuki and the village of Innai and Shigetai merged to form the village of Honmaki.
The village of Kasuga was formed without merging.
The village of Fuse was founded without merging.
The village of Kyowa was founded without merging.
April 1, 1954 The village of Honmaki gained town status.
April 1, 1959 The town of Honmaki and the villages of Kasuga, Fuse, and Kyowa merged to reform the town of Mochizuki.
(※The town of Mochizuki was once dissolved since March 31, 1889)
April 15, 1960 Shigetai area from the former town of Honmaki broke off and went to the town of Tateshina.