Koga Ryu Ninjutsu

In Japanese history, a ninja (忍者 ) was a warrior specially trained in a variety of unorthodox arts of war. These include assassination, illusion, and espionage.

The exact origin of the ninja is a matter of debate. It is known that ninja appeared in 14th century Japan and remained active from the Kamakura to the Edo period. The role of the ninja may have included sabotage, espionage, and scouting. Such actions may have taken place at the service of a feudal lord (daimyo, shogun), or other entity waging guerilla warfare.

Kōga-ryū (甲賀流, literally “the Kōka School” and originally pronounced Kōka-ryū) is a school of ninjutsu. It is one of the most well-known schools of ninjutsu, along with Iga-ryū. It originated from the town of Kōka, modern Kōka City in Shiga Prefecture. This school of ninjutsu specializes in the use of guerrilla warfare tactics and the use of chemicals, a vestige of which can be seen in the many pharmaceutical companies in modern Kōka City.

Koga Ryu Ninjutsu was founded by 53 families during the 10th Century, probably under the Tenkyo period (938-946). Mochizuki Saburo Kameie was given an area of land called Kogagun in virtue of his performance in the battle against Taira No Masakado. He changed his name to Koga Oni No Kami Kameie. However, it was his son Oni No Kami Iechika who studied Genjutsu under Tatsumaki Hoshi and was the founder of Koga Ryu. The families with the most important in Koga Ryu were Koga, Mochizuki, Ugai, Naikii, Akutagawa, Ueno, Ban and Nagano.

Here are a list of links that contain much information about the Mochizuki name in Shinobi history.

• “Ninjutsu hisho ogiden no kan” ( the secret essence of ninja technique) was originally composed by Mochizuki Shigeie in 1536. Mochizuki Shigeie was a Koga Ryu Ninja of the Mochizuki family and was captain of Koga Go Jusan Ke (the 53 families of Koga Ryu).
  • Koga-ryu Ninjutsu Yashiki is the only existing residence of Ninja. In the Edo Period this residence was built by Mochizuki Izumonokami, the head of the 53 Kaga warrior houses of Koga-ryu, one of the major styles of ninjutsu.
  • The Ninjutsu Thesis of Iga Ryu & Koga Ryu.
  • History of the Koga Ryu.
  • Koka Ninja House Photo Tour. Koka Ninja House (Koka-ryu Ninjutsu Yashiki) is the former residence of Mochizuki Izumonokami, the leading Koga ninja family of the 53 Koka ninja families. The house is in its original location in the Koka area of Shiga Prefecture.

8 Responses to Koga Ryu Ninjutsu

1. roland gurney(mochizuki) March 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

interesting website.
    my father was frank(?) yukinaga mochizuki
    who was in hong kong during ww2, an accountant in the japanese civilian administration in the peninsula hotel in hk.
    i know little of him as my mother(lilian ruth magnusson matilda stone) kept quiet on these matters. my father left hk in july 1945
    and he may or may not be alive now.
    if you can give me any help in tracking him i would be much obliged.
    i went to japan in 1997 and a director of ntt said his md was a mochizuki!!!

best regards.
    roland gurney

2. Oliver Mochizuki March 20, 2011 at 5:58 am #

Love the site, and the ninja history is ace!

3. ninjutsu November 13, 2011 at 12:15 am #

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I in finding It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I’m hoping to give one thing back and aid others like you aided me.

4. Ben young May 8, 2013 at 6:48 pm #

I have been looking for the history of the only name my grandmother gave me my great grandmothers maiden name was Mochizuki she moved to Hawaii and married into a family named Okami had my grandmother she married my grandfather stationed in the navy at Hawaii they moved to Washington had my mom and had me I’m a quarter Japanese and I just want to say thank you now I know where some of my ancestors came from and I wish I could meet some of my distant family youngbenny123@hotmail.com

5. Roland Gurney February 18, 2014 at 8:14 am #

Further to my note above re my father Yukinaga Mochizuki I have since had it confirmed that he is indeed my father and was a graduate in Business & Finance from the prestigious Keio Tokyo University in 1940. He served as deputy General Manager of the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong from 1942-45 but returned to Tokyo before I was born in October 1945. He had met dale Carnegie the famous author of the best-selling self-help book ‘How To win friends & Influence People’
    in 1939 and after the Pacific war he went to the states and worked for the Hilton among other companies & graduated a BA in Hotel Management from Michigan State University. All this is on the Wikipedia website for Dale Carnegie because my father founded Dale Carnegie Japan in 1962 and headed it as Director until his retirement in 1994. He died a few years ago but I cannot find his actual date of death.

6. Eric Mitchell April 9, 2014 at 5:34 pm #

@ Roland Gurney
    If that Mochizuki is your father then I may have a few photos of him. Although I have no idea what he actually looks like, so would be hard to pick him out. My grandparents knew him during the occupation after WWII. I have a letter from Frank Y Mochizuki to them and his business card from when he worked for the occupation.

7. Roland Gurney February 8, 2015 at 11:23 am #

My father was indeed Frank Yukinaga Mochizuki
    and I would be pleased to see a copy of the letter
    and his business card if Eric Mitchell would be so good as to
    email these to me at roland675@btinternet.com.

8. eduardo goncalves April 26, 2017 at 2:44 am #

eduardo goncalves venho de uma tradicao chinesa, meus bisa vos eran chineses tenho isso no sangue, treino ninjutsu a mais de de 25 anos, fazendo trabalho de disciplinar jovens, de todos os lugares raças, sem escolher a quem for , com este trabalho passo o conhecimento, e tradiçao nija. e claro com disciplina e regras. claro que feito um teste com os jovens para aprende a defesa pessoal do ninjutsu. terei o prazer de conhecer mais o estilo koga ryu ninjutsu. .